This past weekend, we went to a wonderful wedding in the Adirondacks. Despite Hurricane Irene, we had a great time. The couple chose a beautiful venue with floor to ceiling windows overlooking mountains and Echo Lake . The table settings, abundant with local products, included honey, jams and a basket full of local apples (shown in the picture above), complimented the room. As soon as i saw the basket of apples, I thought.... APPLE PIE!
So here it is, hot out of the oven! Can't wait to slice into it and add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 c packed dark brown sugar
1/3 c sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
6 c peeled, sliced, cored cooking apples (granny smith)
Pastry for double crust 9 inch pie
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 400'
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and cornstarch. Mix well until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cornstarch mixture. Add the apple slices and toss to coat the slices completely. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Prepare pie plate with pastry crust.
- Fill the pastry lined pie plate with the apple mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cover. Pinch edges to seal.
- Cut several vents in top crust and brush the entire top crust with egg yolk mixture. Lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie at 400' about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent over browning.